The distinctive façade of the Livery Building sits on the northern boundary of Fernie’s heritage commercial district at 701 2ndAvenue. In 1907, Alex Rizzuto and J. Crawford purchased the Fernie Livery, Dray and Transfer Company from William Handley and set about modernizing and expanding the business. The partners suffered a huge setback when the wooden structure was razed in the fire that swept through downtown Fernie in 1908, but with $3,000 in insurance money (half of what they had claimed), they began to rebuild.
Featured: Community | The Ktunaxa First Nations
For more than 10,000 years, the Ktunaxa people have occupied a vast traditional territory that includes the Elk Valley.Learn More
Sign up for our quarterly newsletter